Popular Posts

The beginning - 6 January 2011 - In the words of the Gibb Brothers "Staying Alive"


Well not in the "woman's man" kind-of-walk, more the you can tell by the way I use my walk Im in need of losing weight and getting fit kind-of-walk! But literally I need to STAY ALIVE. 

Im at the end of an exhausting week of doing not a lot, except recover from a nasty virus - who to blame, there are so many to choose from? The UK in winter is not good for the weather OR the generous tradition of sharing germs, even if they are from loved ones over the festive season. The good news is I found a great female (girl power) local Doctor which takes me 3 minutes to reach them rather than 33. But getting to know the medical staff so well that Im automatically included in their staff parties was not the social life I had hoped for in 2011, lovely as they are.

However, discovering my blood pressure was 159/99 last Sunday was a frightening realisation which resulted in daily monitoring and today it has reduced to 135/91. The monitoring continues for the next 10 days, and tomorrow I start taking medication for (hopefully) one month only, to reduce my BP further, to enable me to start boot camp from Monday onwards. A "hope" I also had was that I wouldn't need any form of medication at the age of 38 to ensure I was still alive and kicking tomorrow morning, but on this occasion I have had to give up my stubborn nature and agree to the advice of my Doctor. As much as I am optimistic that the increase in BP was due to the virus I have had, if Im brutally honest with myself I do also know that it has increased due to my current weight.

So here I am again, another New Year, making a NY Resolution that I feel I have made on too many occasions before, to lose weight and get fit and lead a healthier life.... again. Only this year I dont have the opportunity to opt out. Its also no coincidence that my best mate I met here is super-fit and super-energetic, so thanks to my super-trouper LL (she knows who she is!) I will lose the 30kgs I need before my 40th birthday in 2012. Thats 17 months, an average of 1.8kgs a month. That feels do-able. I can do it.

Im not saying I wont lose my sense of humour at times .. ok many times, or cry like a baby, or have immature tantrums or naughty moments - Im not perfect and Im a completely different type of person to my super-trouper, but I will have to continually keep reminding myself of the whys and not the why nots, my resolution is now a lifestyle change, it has become more than vanity, its actually about avoiding a stroke or a heart attack or worse. My biggest hurdle will be to overcome the black-outs when eating the unhealthy foods I will no doubt crave. Yes black-outs .... OK thats one for later!

You can tell by the way I use my walk Im in need of losing weight, getting fit and lowering my BP ... Yep, Staying Alive.

<Photo 1>

No comments:

Post a Comment