Popular Posts

23 June - DepoProvera is the devils sister

Now, Im not one for getting on my high horse (ok maybe sometimes .... but usually connected to food, drink, family or friends!), and Im not one for letting other people get on their soap box either, but I gave in to LL when she told me a few times since January that someone she knew had been on the same injections as me, found out HOW bad they were for her from a medical professional, came off and lost lots of weight naturally and got her sanity back. THAT sounded appealing.

Depo Provera is a hormone injection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depo-Provera), which I have been taking on and off (more on) for the last 9 years. It served its purpose, I liked it (still do), Im not into "womens" things, so would have preferred to be a boy on that count any day! Anyway, I always knew it had many side effects but the positives always outweighed the negatives. In the last few weeks, I met LL's friend and she told me how she had been told all the side effects and mostly relating to (1) weight gain, (2) difficulty in losing weight, (3) overly emotional/tearful (4) feeling like insanity is taking over, (5) losing the plot and not feeling normal. The damage this injection causes is sort of known but is mostly unknown, or still being debated. I googled and read, read, read but I gave up on this, as I thought the best conclusion is the results of not being on these injections, as told by someone who had come off them.

I went to meet this lady, LLs friend, and she told me since stopping the injections last year has (1) lost weight without dieting or exercising, (2) has gained control back over her emotions and is less tearful, (3) feels sane again, (4) has been reminded what feeling "normal" was, is, again. That was enough proof for me. At the time of this conversation I was due the next injection the following week. I had already 'sort of" decided not to have it, so deciding definitely not to carry on with the injections was easy.

Looking back, I feel not having the injections has helped me maintain the same weight for one month, which included an indulgent 1 weeks holiday in Greece, and not sticking to my diet plan. I even think that it has helped me last week lose that next 2.1kgs. And as long as I think this positive way, the weight loss will keep going. Even better, within 12 months or so, I would have rid my body of all the toxins and I will be 100% myself and 100% in control over my sanity, weight maintenance and emotions again.

In the meantime, I work on getting back to "normal" though I cant remember what normal feels like to be honest. Its the same as the right numb toes and foot, I cant remember what it feels like to NOT have numb toes and foot, Ive accepted the current situation as normal. But I know its not. I know I might have carried this weight around for a lifetime, but it doesnt mean its normal. A bad habit can be broken and replaced with a good habit. And there are some bad habits I want to kick for good.

I read something inspirational today and I have written these top 10 hints in my order of importance on A3 for my bedroom door, so I read it every day and I choose at least 3 of the tips to follow each day. They all make sense and I hope some of you may also find them inspiring in your quest to improve your day by day lives - http://www.ivillage.com/stay-well-secret-they-snag-quality-sleep/4-b-356253?nlcid=td|06-23-2011|#356252. Soon all 10 of these tips will become my new good habits.

Now, time for the weekend : )

4 comments: