Popular Posts

15 October – I’ve got 2 words for you (Part 1)

NORDIC WALKING!
But before I bore you all with my new potential obsession, let me go through Saturdays exciting adventure – let’s see what I can recall as I’m writing this on Sunday morning after an early start to the day. I’m giving myself my first time off from everything to update my blog as this is also part of my process. As I write this I can hear some lovely soothing music, some motorbikes and cars in the distance (there are very few up here), the confused cockerel continues to cockadoodledo, and so do the dogs – well the bark not cockadoodle-anything! There are birds tweeting, bees and buzzy things busy buzzing everywhere and Im just surrounded by perfectly fresh, clean air. It’s good to feel alive, not just “be”.
Saturday was an easy day, we didn’t start until 10am, however myself and one of my fellow juicers decided to have a trial at the Nordic Walking around 9am. We chatted and gossiped our way down the gravelly hill and I loved the feeling of security the poles/sticks gave me with my wobbly right ankle. I still don’t feel too confident on it, but Im not going to let it hold me back. The ground is very uneven on the way down, but when we came to the end of the drive we turned left (more so because we know later today we would be turning right …!)
What a great walk too, we got our rhythm, I just feel I get this Nordic Walking and it gets me. It’s a mutual win win scenario. I think I’ve definitely found my thing. I’ve already started imagining myself walking around where I live ignoring all the stares and comments, I’ve even pictured me doing it with LL when she gets back to her running, I will follow on behind with my Nordic poles. It may even get me back on that ski slope, I might enjoy it better this time around being fitter, healthier and weighing less than 122kgs!
Everyone here has a story and some really amazing stories. MsN has 2 titanium hips and neck, and has hyper-mobility?), and she must have the highest pain threshold ever, however she is a very active walker and hiker in the Welsh hills or are the mountains? MsNi has 2 metal coils in the right side of her head after suffering from a brain hemorrhage! There are various other injuries and stories but as I write this I forget. As I remember I will give you an “oh by the way, now I remember …”
So back to the activities . So then we had juice, then we had our introduction meeting. I wish I remembered everything Kate said but she was brilliant. The parts I recall most are (1) be yourself this is a safe, comfortable place – and it’s a very safe place in every way, and (2) you spend the 1st and last 5 years of your life dribbling, on average you’ve got 80 years in between so make the most of your time. I feel I’ve not wasted my 1st 40 years, more they were a lesson to learn from, so that I can make the most of the next 40 years and double make it fabulous. This is the kind of place where anyone can be true to themselves, to even become a better person, learn about others, and admire others strengths and values and appreciate your own. I’ve been told I look good for nearly 40, that its obvious I’ve done yoga before, that Im always smiling, Im a very positive and motivated person, that I WILL reach my goal easily, that Im caring and an angel – I gave anyway some of my ankle support and bandages for other injuries. This is a place where IM truly learning who I am, and Im not so bad J.
After the introduction, we went on to the group walk. We started off on the road, which was easier. I didn’t have the Nordic poles this time, as much as I would love to have had a go, I felt greedy having another go after my early morning walk with MsN. So I went without poles and it really is harder to walk without them. I already crave my own personal selfish Nordic poles – will be on the internet later ordering some to be at home when I arrive next week. The walk then turned off the main road and up another hill. Next thing we are walking right amongst nature. The smells were amazing though I didn’t see too much as I was concentrating on my feet and the ground I was walking on. I didn’t want an injury on the first day.  Then there it happened. I twisted my bloody ankle. The words “shit” just rolled off my tongue, but that was mild in comparison to my actual thoughts. Bummer, I didn’t want this to happen. Regardless, I had to get back to “base” – sounds a bit more exciting than “hotel”. A fellow juicer gave me one of their Nordic poles and that was much better. Then I was off again, rambling through narrow, slippy, rocky terrain making close friends with the bushes, flowers and shrubs. The more I walked the better I felt, my ankle wasn’t that bad. What a bloody drama queen. At least we arrived home shortly after, I nursed some ice on the ankle for a while. I think that did the trick, and it appears the injury was more psychological than physical. It’s true when I was told that it will take longer for the psychological damage to repair than the soft tissue itself. The ankle is still holding up but will remain strapped up for the whole week.
To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment