Popular Posts

28 February - Apologies for my absence ...

Where HAS the last week gone? Ive done so much but not sure its significant for this blog ha ha! This IS going to be a long one!

So after last Tuesdays session with the lovely Scottish Andrew, Ive done several shopping trips. Its amazing to see with my own eyes the portions. I can see VERY clearly where I have gone wrong, for as long as I can remember. As long as I have been in charge of my own shopping and cooking (or takeaways!) Ive over eaten. When I look back at my childhood, it was OK for me to overeat as I was always a "big girl" compared to my sister who was a year older. Talk about self-fulfilling prophecy (yes I did learn something in Sociology class after all.... ). Now Im at a crossroads, I know what a healthy portion is, I need to Just Do It, or says Nike anyway!

Whilst we are talking about Nike, its really and I mean REALLY time that a leading sports brand such as Nike designed, produced and marketed nice (not frumpy NOR too fitting) fitness clothes for people like me. When I commenced this new healthy life style mid January (technically 2nd week) I was a size 22. Trying to find something decent to wear from all the famous sports brand was impossible. Even getting the xxxxl from the mens section was pushing it and even then some were a tad tight. NOt on these bellies its not! Interestingly, for someone who has not been active at all or into fitness except the odd burst of enthusiasm that usually lasts a few days, I did find a large number of jogging bottoms in my wardrobe. Most have been thrown out now as they are too big or too long. 3/4 trouser leg is all the rage now anyway : ). BHS is your best option, Evans here dont stock fitness clothes!!

So back to last week ....

For breakfast I have opted for the easy option. 5/6 medium size strawberries (100g) and 2 scoops of greek yoghurt. Greek yoghurt has a more creamy texture and a far nicer flavour than normal yoghurt. I had recently been eating the 0% fat ones, nasty. This brekkie is fresh and I dont feel hungry like I thought I would. Mid morning snack 3hrs later is either some nuts (80g walnuts or almonds) or blueberries (100g). Im struggling with the blueberries as they taste much nicer with a pomegranate Pinkberry yoghurt ice cream. Lunch has been a measured out mixed salad, but I have swapped the celery for more cucumber - the joys of a personalised diet plan! Afternoon snack is either the blueberries or the nuts but Ive missed this 4th meal of the day apart from the first day. As long as the meals are 3 hrs apart this is the theory. Interestingly, with the amount of bootcamp last week, I felt like I had no energy on Weds and Thurs. Corey has added in a good carb - an apple a day - this is easy for my afternoon snackeroonie! The diet plan only works if it matches my exercise plan and I forgot to tell Andrew about the exercise levels. And my first week weigh in is now tomorrow evening, eeek. Im feeling positive as Ive done a quick sneaky weigh in at the Drs this evening when I was there again, as usual for my blood pressure check (all looking good but I have been off work for 2 days). Looks like over 2kgs in the last week. Im ever hopeful on Andrews scales tomorrow, and as long as the % fat has reduced, this is the number I am more keen to see.

Last week was a bit hit and miss, the only constant was OFC Boot camp. Thursday evening with Corey was tough, only 3 of us, so I couldnt hide. We used 2.5kg weights and did a lot of arm work - I recall being horrible to Corey, something about not wanting to look like Popeye, to which we did 4 more rounds of the same. I was only rude cos I was suffering and my arms really hurt, sorry Corey no need for my rudeness. at Though Im sure you've had worse insults over the years doing these military bootcamps. I was happy about the arm work on Thursday eve as my arms WERE still pumped for the ball on Friday.

My whole damage control for the ball didnt work, once a few glasses of wine hit my system, all was forgotten. I ate the bread, 3 times with butter, I drank the white wine, the gin and tonics really werent that palatable on the night, the quickly downed Singapore Sling (thanks MissAm) was very sour, so my tast buds were damaged. Then there was the old me shot of sambucca. It had to be done. Ok it didnt, but it was lovely. My only saving grace was I danced all night for about 3hours apparently. I didnt notice, the music was excellent, I had the girlies with me, a few vinos thrown in and all was good. I stopped drinking when I started dancing, I didnt sit down all night (that I recall) and I didnt do my usual sweating like a pig (followed by lots of sitting down). I didnt even notice this until LL mentioned to me the day after. It didnt seem a big deal, but it was a big deal. I obviously have more energy, stamina and my body has adapted. Before, the dancing would be my annual fitness activity and I suffered and sweated and didnt last all night. This is all good news as I will be re-living my 20s and 30s when I reach my goal weight. Move over RA-M (you know who you are, Patsy!), that podium is going to be all mine!

However, backtracking to the Thursday eve, before the ball, after the 3rd boot camp of the week. I tried on the fave dress it fitted. Sounds great news, but it was dampened so quickly. I managed to get a dodgy tan line from Singapore the previous weekend, so the dress looked nothing less than RIDICULOUS! So a rampage through my wardrobe, trying on all my cocktail dress, taking pics in the mirror and sending each one to LL, the conclusion was - I need to go shopping for a whole new outfit. Thank god Mirdif City Centre was open until midnight. I found some pink shoes and matching handbag I liked in Dune. No time. Dress required first. Monsoon to the rescue, only not the right size. Damn. However it was a lovely feeling to be trying on size 18 dresses with a bigger choice instead of the usual 4 or 5 choices at size 22. And that was only beginning of January this year! Thanks you OFC Boot camp! So, dress. Mpnsoon. Soze 18 a bit too tight. Size 22 far too big (yay), size 20 - not in stock. A quick (well 20mins) call to Festival City proved successful and 20 mins later I was in another mall. It was now 1130pm and I hadnt eaten, so 6 Bateel dates for dinner later I tried on my reserved Monsoon dress and paid for it quickly. A quick dash to Dune - bugger my left foot is still too swollen and they didnt do my size. Ladies, those bright pink suede shoes are to die for! And Im not that kind of girl. Maybe it comes with fitting into the shoes and clothes and not being outsized of the market?

I had a sacrafice to make - tomorrow I couldnt do the Falcon trip with little "L". Sorry love, next time, thank
goodness you are not old enough to remember your Fatexpat Aunty abandoned you at the last minute. 10am Friday morning, back to Mirdif City Centre. Found the pashmina, shoes, and handbag. All bargains too. Bloody brilliant! And all that stressing, trying on dresses on and off, walking the lengths and depths of 2 malls in 2hours, just think of all the calories. Just think of the fat burned. Just think of the leg toning. AND after a boot camp session. I will ask again, and for a long time yet Im sure - who am I? Friday was followed by my day of pampering which was stressful in itself, just fitting everything in - body scrub and massage (its a tough life I know), manicure and pedicure and some threading (oucha!!), hair cut and styled (not as planned, the purple rinse was all that was missing), re-painted nails after "bubbling", home to re-do the hair-do. Quick drink and some chocs as I ge ready, I get to the ball late.

Another change I found was dealing with my hangover - I didnt go mad on cheesey wotsits, diet coke and pizza. Instead lunch at MORE cafe was the healthy lean steak with veggies and salad. Who am I? My theory was that this must cure my hangover better and faster than my old ways. It did for a while. I now have to confess I ate some salty crisps later that day, followed by some arabic food. The hangover was delayed but I still needed food to make me feel better. Still, it was a definite improvement on the old ways and old takeaways, I ordered salad to go with my humous and haloumi cheese!

Ive since had a cold for 2 days, and been feeling miserable a home. Weirdly its really bad in the morning and by 4pmish I feel Ok. I went to boot camp tonight as I thought sweating it out would speed up the recovery in time for me to go back to work tomorrow. Indeed it did. But more importantly, I felt for the first time the difference in how I was when I started boot camp 2nd week of January. There was a huge number of new joiners for the session tonight, for the month ahead. There were 24 of us, a bit different to the 3 of us last Thursday thats for sure. And without feeling bad towards others and in a purely selfish way, I didnt come last and I wasnt the worst in the class. Though I know that that feels like. And lets me honest here I was still in the bottom 50% of the group, I havent suddenly sprinted my way to 1st place, but give me time hee hee! But there was definite progress. As I finished my run I looked at my old team mates and thy were smiling, I looked across to Corey and he pointed to the park where the rest of the group were still running, he looked back and I pulled up 2 corny thumbs up. I was out of breath, but I knew I had done well compared to before. Gives me hope for the next BFA - Corey when is that? I had a sense of achievement, and I will make sure that I encourage those I run past in the future, that I was there before, and only 7 weeks ago. Im someone that can show others small improvements can be achieved and how this feels. Good luck to all my new co-boot campers, its tough, you will feel like crying and giving up but dont give up. As Zaid told me at the first session (you will meet him on Weds), and his words still ring in my ears any day I think about not going to boot camp - just keep ricking up - thats the hard part. Once youre there youre there. As LL also keeps telling me, every move burns calories, so keep moving. It will be worth it.

The biggest sign of the changes to my appearance were my co-boot campers from January commenting on how I had changed - 2 I met in MORE cafe on Saturday, and I was chuffed it was noticeable. My co-bootcamper who used to do the Friday runs with me returned and she noticed a difference. Even if I dont see it or feel it, there are changes going on. And to see 5% fat loss in my body in 7 weeks and 2kgs+ loss in the last week after 2 weeks of standstill, something is definitely going in and all good things!

Rock on March - Im going home to see my family on 1 April, I have a goal in mind and I need to now get MY mind in order. I need to get organised, shopping and chopping, I need to keep up my weekly meetings with Andrew Dietician and I need to do more on the non boot camp days. I also need to get back to walking up the stairs at work, I didnt do any of that last week. I MUST also drink more water - Corey says 3ls a day, 4.5ls on a boot camp day. Wow, I dont drink enough! Im off to buy shares in Masafi.

Good luck fellow Mirdif Boot Campers and see you all on Wednesday and Thursday. Thanks Corey, this stuff DOES work, and I was your biggest skeptic! HUA!







2 comments: